March 16, 2010

Ties that bind


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...

Our department often gets visitors from other countries. Sometimes it's exciting, but mostly it's not. In fact, yesterday, I had no idea we even had a visiting delegation from Vietnam in the building until our dean walked into our office and handed me a tie. That tie up there. "Here, it's from the delegation from Vietnam." "For me?" "Well they gave me three. I gave two to [the guys in the office next to ours] and you get the third." "Thanks....why?" "I have enough ties. Give it to your dad or something."

I relayed this odd interaction to my friend M who asked "Who does he think you are? Diane Keaton? Lisa Bonet? Paula Poundstone?" When I told her that I would not like to be any of said women, she wisely replied, "One of those people did Lenny Kravitz, my friend." And Lenny Kravitz is one handsome man.

No comments:

Post a Comment