March 10, 2010

I second that emotion


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...

So I just read K's post about workplace urinating and I have to say A-men, or whatever the secular equivalent would be, especially to item #1 (no pun intended). The restrooms in our building are locked, and only faculty, staff, and graduate students have a key. You would think, with such a limited amount of people, all of whom are most likely reasonably intelligent and very familiar with the mechanics of bathroom use, that the bathrooms would not get super disgusting, and yet they always do.

I have been known to walk into a stall and yell "Who in this godforsaken hell hole finds it so damn hard to flush?" (This is why I am known around the office as "Sunshine" btw). But seriously, who? I will grant whoever these people are that our toilets are slightly on the older side and do require a second or two of handle-holding-down to complete the transaction, but that it is all. It is not a difficult thing to do, and yet it appears that very few of my colleagues are willing to do it.

Additionally, and like K, I am also vain and like to spend time each day examining myself in our bathroom's full-length mirror. While I suppose it is technically not the fault of the rest of the bathroom-key-holding-community that they come into the bathroom with ninja-quality stealthness and bust me in my ass evaluating activities, I don't think it would KILL them to announce themselves so I could pretend to be drying my hands or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment