May 18, 2010

Wonder of Wonders, Miracle of Miracles


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...

It's not very often that I am tempted to quote "Fiddler on the Roof" but today is one of those days. Why, you ask? Because today is my boss' last day in our office for TWO MONTHS. Two. Months. 9 weeks. She will not be back until July. All of you out there who have a boss must understand what incredible news this is. I honestly thought this day would never come.

She's a soccer super fan and decided about a year ago that she was going to go to South Africa this year for the World Cup. Originally she was planning to take about 6 weeks off, which back in May 2009 sounded a) amazing and b) way too far away. But then she had trouble booking a return ticket and now will be gone for 2 entire months, pretty much to the day. It's everything I could ever want.

Officemate and I took her to lunch today, ostensibly to wish her bon voyage, but it's just as much as celebratory lunch for us as it was a "have a great trip" lunch for her. I am going to drink the crap out of a beer when I get home tonight. These next two months are going to be so great.

Now, here's where I should add that my boss is very nice. She is very nice. However, her job is to tell me what to do, so her 2 month absence means virtually no getting told what to do at work, which is really the dream. Officemate and I are going to make all kinds of changes during our time of autonomy, ready to fall back on the "well it happened when you were in Africa" excuse if our boss is unhappy with any of the decisions we've made in her absence. "Remember that two month vacation you took? Well the school didn't stop running while you were away, and someone had to pick up the slack. Stick around next time you want things done your way."

But that's way in the future. Right now, all I'm focusing on is coming in to work tomorrow with the knowledge that no one can call me in for a 2 hour meeting, send me an email with the instructions "please advise" or have me completely redo a document only to decide she liked it better the way it was before.

L'chaim, l'chaim, to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment