May 24, 2010

All By Myself...


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...

Well friends, K has abandoned us for the beaches of Belize. It's just me holding down the fort all week long. I apologize in advance.

I'm going to try to post twice a day to make up for K's absence, but I can't promise either post will be any good. For example, all I can think of to write about today is the LOST series finale. I have a serious LOST hangover, which happens to have a lot of similar symptoms to an actual hangover: headache, nausea, memory loss, vague sense of regret.

I did it to myself though. I wasn't into LOST until the 3rd season. I honestly thought it was like Swiss Family Robinson before I started watching: they're lost on an island! Let's watch them make things with coconut shells! It sounded stupid to me. But a group of my friends were getting together each week to watch it and cook dinner, and I was the only one not participating because I didn't watch the show.

So I decided to take one for the team and get caught up. A coworker loaned me Season 1 on DVD and I watched the rest online until I intimately the storylines of Kate, Jack, Sawyer and the rest of the passengers of Oceanic Flight 815. By that point, I was hooked, engrossed. I was reading up on the many literary and historical allusions littered throughout the show, as well as the hidden significance of, well, just about everything.

And last night, it ended. The series finale was a let-down for me, but they all are. And this morning of course people are up in arms about the way it ended and how many questions are left unanswered and to them, I'd like to say: IT WAS PRETEND PEOPLE!!! IT'S A STORY. It was always made up and there are no answers, because the writers were just pulling shit out of their asses as they went along.

The point of LOST was not to get your questions answered; it was to watch and discuss with people and think about things like fate, good and evil, and the afterlife. Few shows have spawned the level of discussion and theorizing that LOST has; few shows have been as polarizing. It's the show you love or are proud to say you love to hate. Personally, I found it to be the most fun I've had watching TV in a long time and I'd do all it again if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment