April 27, 2010

Whether the Weather...

From an unnamed production office for an undisclosed television show in an address-withheld building in LA where the elevators are shockingly slow...



There's a poem that goes like this:

Whether the weather be fine,
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold,
Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not.

I did not write it.  (Or did I?  The authorship is unknown.  Maybe I'm just very humble.  (I didn't/I'm not.))  I'm not even the target audience for this poem, because let me tell you this: Whether the weather be fine, or whether the weather be not, it's always 72 degrees inside my office.  I have not, in the last 6 months, dressed with any consideration for the outside temperature.  I get up in the morning to walk the dog and I put on a sweatshirt and a warm hat?  I wear a blouse and jeans and bring a cardigan to work.  I get up in the morning to walk the dog and I put on shorts and a tank top?  I wear a blouse and jeans and bring a cardigan to work.  It's kind of really sad, but also convenient for somebody lazy (me).

Well today, as I know it will shock anyone who's read a sentence of this blog to know, I left the office for a lunch meeting with a guy that I'm hoping to go work for (I cleverly called it a "doctor's appointment").  It was so weird because I couldn't park inside his office building, or inside the restaurant that we walked to, which meant that I was thrust into the out-of-doors, real-life, mid-spring Southern California elements!  All of a sudden I became aware that I have arms and legs and they feel hot and cold even during business hours!  And the restaurant thermostat was set at least a few degrees higher than we keep it in my office, so I had to take my sweater off.  It was interesting.  And the thermostat at the outdoor crosswalk to get back to my car was set to cold, so I realized that if I wear a dress, as I did today, sometimes my legs can feel cold because the actual earth itself is cold even though if I were sitting at my desk it would not at all be chilly.  Fascinating.

When I got back to my office after all that worldly temperature exploration, we had a staff meeting that brought everything full circle for me.  My immediate boss screwed me over and presented a bunch of things that I was assigned to present, and- even indoors at an even 72 degrees- I was able to feel both the hot hot heat of rage and then crank up the icy chill when I bumped her knee under the table and didn't even say, "Excuse me."  Elements?  Weathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment