April 26, 2010

Just Another Manic-Depressive Monday


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...

I'm pretty practical. I don't believe in tarot cards, or ghosts (though I am scared to walk in a graveyard at night alone). I only read my horoscope when I'm bored, and I think The Secret is total crap. I get the idea of positive thinking: if you're going to be thinking anyway, why not think positively? But apparently this book tells you to focus on things like finding a parking spot or getting a new TV, and also implies that your healthy lifestyle with a focus on disease prevention might actually attract the exact diseases you're trying to avoid. I think it's BS.

However, it does seem like someone around here must be thinking thoughts about crazy people and putting them on their wish board or whatever they're called, because crazies are totally everywhere today.

Crazy on the phone: 3o minutes from a man who believes he can revolutionize the world and wants to do it at our school except for the classes he doesn't need to take due to "professional exemption." He also told me about his son's coke problem and other son's involvement in grand theft auto (the real crime, not the video game).

Crazy in our office: people just keep stopping by on sitting on our couch and telling us everything that's happening in our lives like we're their psychiatrists and they're Betty Draper.

Crazy over email: incoming students seem to think that being admitted to our program entitles them to every class they want, free housing and a personal audience with anyone on this campus.

Additionally, I did not sleep well at all last night and snoozed so many times I didn't even have time to make coffee before leaving for work today and am barely awake here in my penultimate HTML class, where apparently we're learning something called PHP. I, much to our instructor's chagrin, keep referring to it as PCP, which I think half the people in this building are on right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment