July 19, 2010

Summertime Blues


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...

Some amongst you might say it's only July 19, but for me, summer is over. Why? Our boss is back today. I just got a voicemail from her saying that she is taking her cat to the vet but plans to be in ASAP. Booooooooooo. Where did those glorious two months go? Honestly, when she left, I kind of thought she'd be gone forever. I really did not plan for this let-down of her returning. Back to inane emails with the instructions "please advise." Back to her thinking it's okay to call my cell phone as I'm driving home from work after working an extra 2.5 hours that day. Back to events that are well attended and running beautifully and her pulling me aside to ask why there aren't flowers on the table, because flowers on the table are "always a nice touch."

It seems like everyone is a bad mood this morning. The reception area got painted over the weekend and when I went up to make a copy, I told the front desk ladies that it looks great, which it does.

"Looks great up here!"
"Sure."
"You don't think so?"
"It's just paint."

I mean, yeah, it is just paint, but what were they expecting if not a fresh coat of paint? It's not like the painter promised to remodel the room and install a Jacuzzi; he said he was going to paint it the color they chose.

Maybe she was hoping he'd leave flowers on her desk. That would be a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment