July 14, 2010

Bizarro World


From an unnamed university in the greater San Francisco Bay Area...
Today I had something that I have not had in a very long time, and honestly wasn't sure I even could have anymore. Mind out of the gutter, pervs, it's not that. It's a positive interaction with a prospective student.

A large portion of my job consists of meeting with prospective students, in person or on the phone, so naturally, I don't like it anymore. Usually, I find their questions to be completely inane. Generally, the undertone of my most of my conversations with prospective students is "how will you get me admitted to your program with full funding? No, I don't care that I'm unqualified."

So I didn't have high hopes for my 11:00am appointment. But lo and behold, this young man was on time, articulate, full of interesting questions, engaging, well-dressed...I really could not have been more pleased with our meeting and now am completely committed to getting him enrolled in our program if it's the last thing I do.

Now I'm wondering if I'm living in Bizarro Office. I'm liking prospective students, so does that mean I'll start hating Officemate? Will the upstairs fridge start sneaking food from me? Will I... return phone calls?

No comments:

Post a Comment