July 20, 2010

Bad Dream

From an unnamed production office for an undisclosed television show in an address-withheld building in LA where the elevators are shockingly slow...

 
There are a few things in this hard knock life that make me truly happy.  In an effort to streamline this post, I will ignore the ones- like my dog and Ben and Jerry's Phish Food- that don't relate to this particular story, and focus on two that came into direct painful conflict last night: My early bed time and bad television.  After a dumb day at work, I take great pleasure in relaxing with some insane Housewives or Top Models, and then turning the lights out before any Lettermans or Lenos get in the mix.  So imagine my profound dilemma last night when my friend L, who always comes over to watch The Bachelorette on Mondays, was running super late.  Like, we weren't even going to take off for Tahiti to meet up with Ali and the tooltestants until 10:30... P.M.!  But we had to do it.  In the end I thought it was the brave choice, and one that- even after a sleepy and yawning day- I do not regret.

What I do regret, however, is that my two office mates have now both seen "Inception," and spent all day playing this gong or drum or whatever the eff it is noise from the movie over and over for effect.  They played it while they told stories, and while they watched various muted commercials, and YouTube videos, and anything that they could find that they thought would look and sound funny with that dramatic percussive soundtrack.  And hey, I haven't seen the movie, so maybe that particular noise is super profound and I should shut up and drive straight to the movie theater and change, yes, my entire world view, but more specifically my feelings about a boom noise for minutes on end in my office on a day when all I want to do is sleep and, with my eyes peacefully closed, go back over the Bachelorette episode from last night to see if there weren't any clues I missed about how it all ends.  Although, if I were a betting woman, I'd put my money on me driving straight home, saying something cranky, and immediately passing out instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment